Non Tasarmi, Fratello!

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!” Hillaire Belloc

Friday, July 29, 2016

I'd Like to Buy a Vowel

 I had to read this several times. I'm still not sure I understand it.


The Croatian government has reacted strongly to Serbia’s formal diplomatic protest of a Croatian court’s decision to annul the 1946 conviction of Blessed Alojzije Stepinac.
 The Croatian cardinal was convicted of treason in a Communist show trial.
 
Blessed Alojzije Stepinac

Miro Kovac, Croatia’s minster of foreign and European affairs, described the diplomatic protest as “a cheap attempt at destabilizing Croatia at a sensitive time.”
“That's a recipe from the 1990s,” he continued. “The vocabulary unfortunately recalls the time of Slobodan Milosevic and the Greater Serbia aggression.”
Kovac added, “I have to say that these assessments regarding Cardinal Stepinac are fictitious and unacceptable. This is meddling in Croatia’s interior affairs.”
The Serbian foreign minister later said that Croatia’s formal written response was so insulting that Serbia’s ambassador in Croatia refused to accept it.

Pope John Paul II elevated Bishop Stepinac to Blessed, so I am guessing it's legit. Stepinac was strongly anti-communist and particualrly harsh with the Freemasons, so hurray for him. I tried to understand all the ins and outs of what was going on leading up to his trial and all I took away from it was this: Yugoslavia was bad idea.

Labels: , , , ,