Non Tasarmi, Fratello!

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!” Hillaire Belloc

Sunday, September 06, 2015

I'm Compunctious About Your Sorrow


I'm sorry for the way things are in China
I'm sorry things ain't what they used to be
But more than anything else
I'm sorry for myself.

John Denver, "I'm Sorry" 

Not good enough!  I want you sorry today, sorry tomorrrow, and sorry about about things that happened hundreds of years ago and you had nothing to do with! For instance, I am sorry my French ancestors weren't kinder to the Huguenots.

Meanwhile....the Associated Press reports:

SAN FRANCISCO — Pope Francis' apology for the Roman Catholic Church's crimes against indigenous peoples has not softened opposition among some California Native Americans to his decision to canonize 18th-century Franciscan missionary Junipero Serra.
Serra is extolled by the Vatican as a great evangelizer, but denounced by some tribal officials as a destroyer of Native culture.
Francis made a sweeping apology for the church's sins and "crimes" against indigenous peoples during a visit to Bolivia in July, "humbly" begging forgiveness in the presence of Bolivia's first-ever indigenous president and representatives of native groups from across South America, who wildly cheered the pope and said they accepted the apology.
But Ron Andrade, a member of the La Jolla Indian Reservation, said the pope's apology is not a real reckoning with the church's history of abusing Native Americans and appears intended to seek forgiveness and move on.
 Critics say they want action, not words. The pope should help Native Americans regain land they lost, Andrade said.





Labels: , ,