Non Tasarmi, Fratello!

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!” Hillaire Belloc

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Smithsonian Photo Contest

 Some beautiful pictures, including this one:
 The description:


I shot this photo in August 2015 in Rome. My girlfriend and my little son were far from Rome so I had free time for me, for my passion. I decided to have a small tour of some churches in Rome (where I've lived since 2005) because the temperature was too high to spend some time outside under the sun. I took some photos in Basilica di San Giovanni and after that, I went to the Scala Santa which is close to the San Giovanni Basilica. Inside the Scala Santa there is a holy stair (scala) used by pilgrims, who ascend the steps on their knees. Light at that hour (about 6:30 PM) was perfect. I saw this nun going out downstairs towards the light of the sun, and I shot.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest/detail/people/the-martyr-and-the-wrap-white/#5KAp11jiEt5zvlWH.99
I believe the white habit is used by many orders that do nursing as part of their ministry. The on;y order I know that uses white consistently is the Dominicans.
 

Labels: ,