Non Tasarmi, Fratello!

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!” Hillaire Belloc

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Guardian Angels..boy or girl?

 


Last Sunday we talked about angels in general and guardian angels in particular. We know we have a guardian angel...but is it a he angel or a she angel? Or neither, or both? I wondered because all the Christmas tree angels are female, and also most depictions of angels are female (see above guardian angel).

I don't know the answer. But let's review...their are three archangels mentioned by name in the Bible: Michael, Gabriel, and Leonard. No, not Leonard - Raphael. And sometimes Uriel. The Eastern Orthodox believers name 3 others: Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel. All guys.

But we read a little of the Old Testament (Zechariah 5:9) which says:

Then I lifted up my eyes and looked, and there two women were coming out with the wind in their wings; and they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted up the ephah between the earth and the heavens.


I guess that means angels can be either male or female.

What got me thinking about it again was I read this from St. Theresa of Avila:

"Beside me on the left appeared an angel in bodily form . He was not tall but short, and very beautiful; and his face was so aflame that he appeared to be one of the highest ranks of angels, who seem to be all on fire . . . In his hands I saw a great golden spear, and at the iron tip there appeared to be a point of fire. This he plunged into my heart several times so that it penetrated my entrails."

A guy angel! Don't worry, St. Theresa ended up feeling good about the whole thing. Interesting person, that St. Theresa Avila...



Posted by Picasa

Labels: