Non Tasarmi, Fratello!

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!” Hillaire Belloc

Friday, February 16, 2007

Regarding Saints and Feast Days...

I do my best to be accurate when I write about the saints, but there are very often discrepancies in the research I do.

Let me give you an example:

Onesimus was converted by St. Paul - of this there is little doubt. But did Onesimus:

1) Seek out St. Paul on his own?
2) Get introduced to St. Paul by someone?
3) End up in prison for stealing from Philomene and meet St. Paul while incarcerated?

I usually go with the commonly accepted information. In the big picture, does it matter? To me, no. The important thing is to think about the piety, sacrifice, and holiness of these remarkable men and women and to aspire to be more like them.

Although I would prefer not to be crucified, stoned, beheaded, burned at the stake, raked with sheep combs, or thrown to wild beasts.

Labels: