Non Tasarmi, Fratello!

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!” Hillaire Belloc

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Father Donald VanAmburgh

 


Father Donald VanAmburgh died on December 26, 2006.

Father Van was my High School principal and my baseball coach when I attended Seton Catholic High School in Endicott, NY from 1969 through 1973. He was offered a chance to tryout with the Brooklyn Dodgers and was smart enough to be an civil engineer,like his father. But he chose the priesthood instead.

Playing baseball for him was a treat. He was one of those guys who could hit balls one-handed anywhere he wanted them to go. I played centerfield when I wasn't pitching and he would hit fungoes to me during practice - but never AT me. Run to the left; run to the right.

My favorite memories of Father Van are the annual "State of the School" addresses. He would come on to the stage in his cassock to a standing ovation, and leave to another standing ovation. Think about that kids - the PRINCIPAL given a standing ovation!

In his later years, I would hear from him through my mom. I kept thinking to myself I should write him a letter and tell him what a huge influence he had been on my life...but never did. I regret it so I will have to tell him face-to-face in heaven. I know he'll be there; I've got some work to do.

"Et introibo ad altare Dei: ad deum, qui laetificat juventutem meam."
Posted by Picasa